The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the first installment in a planned trilogy based on the fantasy novel The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien will feature a score composed by multi-awarded film composer Howard Shore. This should not come as a surprise to anyone who avidly follows film music because Shore has scored all three of The Lord of the Rings movie series. The series were also based on the works of author J.R.R. Tolkien. That said, it’s just about right that Shore has been hired yet again to compose the music for the planned The Hobbit trilogy. He was fantastic in creating the score for the LOTR films and nothing less can be expected from him with regards to what he has in store for The Hobbit. The man has won three Academy Awards from the LOTR series alone.
Recording sessions for The Hobbit‘s soundtrack began in August of 2012. The recordings were done with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. The official soundtrack will be released on December 11, 2012 ahead of the showing of the film in theaters. The soundtrack is to be released through the Water Tower Music label. Also contributing to the score are Neil Finn and actors from the film like Richard Armitage and the cast of dwarves.
About The Film: An Unexpected Journey is going to be the first in a trilogy. The next two will be The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again which will come out in 2013 and 2014 respectively. The series will act as prequels to The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Peter Jackson is returning as director as well as several actors who played major characters from the LOTR series. These include Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Orlando Bloom, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, And Elijah Wood. A lot of the production crew also are returning crew from the LOTR series. A major addition and asset to the production is the inclusion of acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro. del Toro was the original pick to direct the series but he was eventually replaced by Peter Jackson. del Toro is credited as a co-writer of the series’ screenplays.
The main characters in the film are Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey, Thorin Oakenshield, Gollum, Smaug, Saruman the White, and the Company of Dwarves (Dwalin, Balin, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, and Bofur).
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Trivia
1. Peter Jackson expressed his interest in making a film adaptation of The Hobbit as early as 1995. Circumstances, however, caused him to make The Lord of the Rings series first.
2. Guillermo del Toro was the original pick to direct the trilogy but he left in 2010 because of the constant delays.
3. Filming began in March 2011 in New Zealand. Some scenes were also shot at a studio in England.
4. During premier week of the movie, Wellington, New Zealand will be renamed Middle of Middle Earth.
5. A video game inspired by the series was developed by Monolith Productions. The game is called Guardians of Middle Earth.