On-page SEO checks that are an absolute must. You shouldn’t miss any of these. On-Page SEO is considered to be much more important and essential than off-page SEO. Hence, it much be done with due diligence. Here are five on-page SEO checks that are necessary for every webpage.
A website with good content can do great without SEO and even better with SEO. However, a website with low quality content won’t manage even with SEO. Yes, that’s the value of good quality content. What qualifies a content to be good? Well, good quality content:
- should be authentic and original
- should be fresh and not published on any other website
- should have a balance of textual and non-textual content
- should be useful to the reader
- should have been researched well for
- and shouldn’t be posted more than once
Page Titles, Formatting and Description
Page titles, descriptions and formatting it not only important because it makes the content more easily readable and accessible for the reader, but also the search engine bot. Page titles, description and formatting helps the search engine bot understand what the content is all about, and then based on other factors like competition, domain authority, off-page SEO etc., ranks the website pages. The following checks are important:
- Each web page should have a unique title that clearly encapsulates what the following content is all about.
- The page descriptions should be of 150 characters and worded in a way that attracts the user to click on the website link.
- The content should be clearly formatted into headings (H1) and sub headings (H2), with the important sections highlighted in bold, italics or underline.
- In case of images being used, they should be either original, and when sourced from the web, the source must be clearly mentioned. Also, optimize the image size to improve its quality. Don’t forget to use Alt tags since this will help the Google bots to understand what the image is all about. Using descriptive names for the image files is also important. And, in case you have too many images on a single page, consider using a content delivery network for faster loading speeds.
The URL structure is also very important. To begin with, the permanent URLs should always be lesser than 255 characters, with hyphens to separate different parts; example – www.xyz.com/product-category/product. Next, you should categorize your website pages which makes it easier for the visitors to navigate through the website; example, XYZ company>Facebook> What makes XYZ an affordable website SEO company? The website should also be optimized for breadcrumbs, which is yet another feature that streamlines the website’s content and helps the user find what they are looking for easily. Lastly, the user sitemap should be updated with the precise sequence of the structure of your website.
Ensure that the links in the website pages provide the reader with further relevant and useful content. It is important that the pages that the website is linked to has a good page rank, and good quality content. Internal linking is also important since this will usher the Google bot to read other important pages of your website as well. Besides, linking is a proven way to increase the time a visitor spend on a website.
Google authorship entails linking content to a Google+ page so that the popularity of the account gets more visitors to the page as well as help the Google bots determine the quality and ranking of the website. Though the new feature, the Google authorship feature is catching pace quickly as a way to build a website’s credibility.