This dish is simple to make, healthy, tasty and low on carbohydrates. It also doesnt take long to prepare and cook, maybe 20 minutes. Cauliflower rice is used as a delicious substitute to normal rice to keep the carbohydrate level down. You can make it as hot (spicy) as you like and omit the tuna if you prefer an equally tasty vegetarian option.
Thai Tuna Curry with Cauliflower Rice
Mmmm! Its making me hungry!
- 1 large onion (not too strong)
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- A good few pinches of salt
- A couple of grinds of ground black pepper
- A pinch of kalonji seeds
- 1 cauliflower (head)
- 100g of tuna (optional)
- A tablespoon of butter
- A tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
- A teaspoon of lime pickle
- A small piece of ginger
- A tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- A pinch of Garam masala powder
- Half a teaspoon of soya sauce
- The above ingredients will make enough for one fairly hungry person
- 20 minutes on a high heat on the hob.
Try to use only organic vegetables. The quality of the tomatoes is key to the taste of this dish. Go for as ripe and succulent as you can. Garam masala can be replaced by other asian spices of your choice.
- Start by preparing the cauliflower. Use only the head (the white, brainlike part). Shred with a cheese grater. A full head makes enough for about 3 people. Put in a pot to boil for 20 mins.
- Chop up the onion, garlic and tomatoes quite finely and put them in a frying pan with the butter and coconut oil. Add the salt and pepper and keep stirring until the onions start to brown a little. Add the chopped up red pepper here if you wish.
- Chop up the ginger finely and add along with the kalonji seeds and soya sauce. Now add the lime pickle and tomato puree. Add about a teaspoon of the garam masala powder. Keep stirring regularly.
- Now its time to add some water. Fill the pan up so it covers most of the ingredients. Leave to boil for 10 minutes. It should reduce down.
- Keep tasting and add more salt, pepper and masala powder to your liking.
- Now its time to add the tuna(optional). Drain the tuna from the tin and add to the pan.
- If the dish tastes a little bitter, this could be because of the type of onions used or too much lime pickle. Add sugar or honey to compensate.
- When the water has almost evapourated away, its time to serve.
- Drain the cauliflower rice well and place on a dish next to the curry.
KitchenAid Mixer – Link Monetized by VigLink
Although this is a simple dish to make, it will take practice for you to get it exactly the way you want. Over time you will create something amazing. A talking point among your friends and a reason to stay at home for curry! Its quite low on carbohydrates so it makes for a very healthy meal.