Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) is an effective treatment option for men and women who wish to improve tired or heavy looking eyes. This surgical treatment involves correcting aesthetic and functional abnormalities of eyelids. Excess tissue and fat are removed from the area to result in more refreshed and younger looking eyes.
Types of Eyelid Surgery
Upper Eyelid Surgery
In upper eyelid blepharoplasty, incisions are made in the natural folds of the eyelids, outwards from the eye. Excess fat, skin, and muscle are removed and the incisions are closed with very small stitches. The stitches will be removed after three to six days. The procedure can resolve puffy upper eyelids and excess upper eyelid skin.
Lower Eyelid Surgery
In lower eyelid surgery the incisions are made in natural contours of the lines beneath the eye. Removing excess fat and skin through these incisions can reduce wrinkles and improve the shape of the lower eyelid. Sometimes, tightening the eyelid is needed to correct drooping or sagging. Stitches may or may not be required, depending on the technique used.
While upper eyelid surgery done primarily to remove sagging skin, lower eyelid surgery mostly involves the removal of fat deposits. As the eyelids are one of the most complex areas of human body, this surgical procedure is best performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon with a proper understanding of the anatomy and aesthetics of the eyelid and experience and expertise in the field. The procedure would usually the following:
- Repositioning the corner of the eye
- Repositioning of lateral tarsal strip eyelid
- Lower eyelid fat sliding procedures
- Repositioning the lower eyelid
- Fat tear trough ablation
- Extensive orbicularis release
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery
- Can restore peripheral vision that has been obscured by droopy and sagging eyelids
- Patients may be able to claim insurance coverage as it is not a purely cosmetic procedure
- Improves the overall look and appearance of the eyes
- Removes loose or sagging skin that creates folds or affects the natural contour of eyelids
- Reduces puffiness of the eyelids caused due to excess fat deposits
- Rejuvenates facial appearance
- Improves self-confidence
Treatment at an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery center will assure safety and adherence to standards. A reliable surgeon will take account of the patients medical history and other considerations to determine candidature. Once cleared for surgery, the patient will be provided with a customized treatment plan to achieve the desired goals.