Have you envisioned yourself seating in a dark movie theater, watching the screen as names flash by, then BOOM, came your name as the movies script writer!!! But first, hard work, perseverance and talent are required in achieving fame and glory on the big screen. Thanks to the Internet, movie software programs are now available to help you with the formatting of your script and finding the right producers. You dont have to be living in Hollywood to get your own movie. Heres how to get things started:
1. If you are a newbie in the business of script writing, it is best to start out with a short film for about 3 minutes to an hour with less characters and using few locations. On the other hand, a feature film ranges from 90 minutes to 2-3 hours. These films can be classified as comedy, fantasy, sci-fi, drama, romance, western and many others. In your case, it is best to write your first script with the movie category that you enjoy watching.
2. Try watching at least 10 or more movies of your category before starting to write your own script. Just to familiarize yourself with the flow, structure and elements that make the movie click. Take comedy for example, what makes them funny are the wacky situations, snappy banter and sigh gags, contrary to horror films that take advantage of the light, shadow, music and surprises that makes your skin jump. You may visit your movie rental store or go to Netflix to look for film to study.
3. When writing your story dont forget to make an outline that will keep in line with your ideas. In screen writing there are three acts in the structure. First is the introduction of the main characters and here is where you introduce the core of the story or conflict of the story. Second escalates the forces of the protagonist who takes a much bigger risks. Lastly, or the third part, continues with the obstacles of the protagonist and it will also conclude all outstanding issues. To easily outline your own script is simply know how many pages it will be and divide it to three parts.
4. Most important in any movie is the hero or your protagonist. This character must have the most visibility on screen and he or she has the core conflict or common quest, in which all other events revolve. You also have to introduce your villain or the antagonist. Define the villains goal and the heros to constitute a movie worth watching.
5. Start writing your script and get feedback on your screenplay. Ask your friends and family to critique it for you. Then confidently enter your work on screenplay competitions through websites. But never send your script without registering it first to the Writers Guild of America; you will never know if your script gets published.
Ask the help of family and friends to read your dialogues with you, so you wont have to spend much when they help out. Proofread your script for spelling and grammatical errors. Readers have a tendency to be very critical and will conclude that a story is not worth reading if there are lots of errors. Also, don’t forget to invest in a copy of Screenplay Form and Structure by Alan Von Altendorf for more information on how to write a powerful screenplay. This 238-page illustrated tutorial is packed with practical examples of how to bond a film audience to your main character.