When the breast is reconstructed entirely with ones own tissue, the results are generally more natural. DIEP flap breast reconstruction is one among the most popular options for breast reconstruction, which makes use of the patient’s own abdominal skin and fat to restructure a natural, warm, and soft breast. It is a great option for women who have lost their breast due to mastectomy and desire softer and younger looking breasts. The procedure restores the lost breast and enhances ones femininity and self-confidence.
The Procedure of DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction
The number of women undergoing breast reconstruction using abdominal flap has increased greatly over the past three decades. Those who have undergone mastectomy form the majority of the patient group. The process involves the following steps.
- Removal of flap from the abdominal area (DIEP flap consists of skin, fat, and blood vessels taken from the abdominal wall)
- Moving the removed flap to the chest
- Attaching the flap to the blood vessels and creating the new breast
Patients undergoing this procedure have to stay in hospital for at least 3 to 4 days. As the technique leaves the abdominal muscles intact, patients can enjoy faster recovery, with less pain. The results of the surgery can be maintained for a long-term, with no concerns such as that related to implants.
Benefits of DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction
- The major benefit of DIEP flap is the creation of a symmetrical and natural-looking breast, as it is reconstructed entirely out of ones own tissue.
- Apart from gaining a natural-looking breast, a patient undergoing the surgery benefits from improved abdominal contouring and strength, as the tissue for creating the flap is harvested from the abdominal area.
- As the procedure does not include the removal of abdominal muscles, it minimizes the risk of hernia or bulge which occurs more commonly in TRAM flap operations.
- No need to worry about rupture, infection, or capsular contracture, as in the case of implant-based breast reconstruction.
- Patients benefit from an improved quality of life and psychosocial well-being.
- The surgery eliminates the need to introduce any foreign materials into the body of the patient.
- More realistic breast texture with less pain.
Only an expert plastic surgeon, skilled and experienced in microsurgery and reconstructive procedures can determine whether you are a candidate for the DIEP flap surgery. Make sure that you select an AAAASF-certified surgical center for treatment, because such centers are equipped with advanced equipment and the latest facilities.