Many people consider the nose to be the most distinguishing feature of the face. Any slight alteration to the nose can make a big difference to the way you look. This could explain the growing demand for rhinoplasty. In 2013, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) members noted a 10 percent increase in cosmetic nose surgeries over the previous year, with the procedure topping the list of the most popular cosmetic surgical treatments. The AAFPRS survey noted that nose jobs remain the most requested surgical procedure for both men and women under the age of 35.
In addition to improving the facial appearance, nose surgery can provide functional benefits as well. The procedure is performed to resolve the following conditions:
- Enlarged, drooping, upturned or hooked nasal tip
- Nasal obstruction and asymmetry
- Nasal structural problems (genetic or due to injury)
- Visible humps or depressions on the bridge
- Alter size and shape of the nose to blend well with other features
- A broken nose
Intricate Surgical Procedure
Nose surgery is an intricate procedure and may be performed using local or general anesthesia. The procedure needs to be customized to suit the specific anatomy and goals of the patient. The surgery may be performed inside the nose or by making a small incision outside between the nostrils at the base of the nose. The bone and cartilage underneath the skin will be readjusted to provide the desired results. For augmentation of the nasal bone or cartilage, the surgeon may use cartilage or bone from the specific areas of the body or implants.
This cosmetic surgery is often combined with septoplasty, a procedure which helps alleviate breathing difficulties by correcting a deviated septum the structure of bone and cartilage that separates both nostrils.
Advantages of Combining a Nose Job with Septoplasty
- Better Nasal Airflow: Blockage of airflow and breathing issues can occur due to displacement of the nasal septum due to accidents, sporting activities, or other traumatic incidents. Combining aesthetic surgery with septoplasty can straighten a crooked nose and improve airflow.
- Improved Nasal Appearance: Improves overall facial symmetry and appearance of nose
- Better Sleep: Correcting breathing problems can improve sleep.
- Self-image and Confidence: By improving facial balance, changes to the appearance of nose improve self-confidence and self-esteem.
Rhinoplasty is one of the most delicate and complex of all cosmetic procedures. Thats why prospective patients need to exercise caution when choosing their surgeon. While they need to have realistic expectations about the outcome, patients should take care to find a board-certified surgeon who specializes in this plastic surgery procedure.