News Find Low Income Housing for Seniors and the Elderly...

Find Low Income Housing for Seniors and the Elderly 2012 – Homes For Vulnerable Citizens


Low income housing for seniors and the elderly is a very important part of welfare in the U.S. and the government recognises this. As such, the government has launched a series of programs designed to help the elderly and the disabled in obtaining, keeping or managing their housing. There are also additional programs that are designed to assist these people while they are living in their own homes. Housing can be hard to manage on a small (or absent) income and if you need support then read on to find out how what you can apply for and what you need to be eligible for each program.

About the HUD Low Income Housing Programs for Old-Age Persons

The Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD, has come up with a number of support programs that are open to old-age and U.S. citizens with affordable housing solutions. You should apply for the program(s) that are best suited to your level of income and current situation. Applying for the most appropriate program first thing can save you a lot of waiting time later.

The Different Programs Available

With that in mind the two different types of programs that you can enter into as a senior or disabled person; self-owned accommodation support and rented accommodation support.

Self-Owned Accommodation – Owning your own home is a great situation to be in but it the act of ownership does not cover expenses in itself. As such the HUD is offering a special mortgage program known as the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, or HECM. The HECM uses the equity of your home to provide you with an income loan to cover your expenses and costs of living. This is a great option for if you own property but have a low level of income. If you are looking to buy a home on low income then you can also take advantage of the HUD’s rural property loans program. These loans are designed to encourage people to move into rural areas and if you are looking for a peaceful retirement in the countryside then this is a great option.

Rented Accommodation – If you do not own your own home or if you cannot afford to buy one then there are a number of rental options available to the elderly or disabled. The first option is a simple rent assistance program that will help you pay a portion of your rental costs in certain housing types. The second option is moving into a government-supported assisted living facility which is a great option if you have trouble living on your own. The final option is moving into public housing which is accommodation provided by the HUD for a very affordable monthly rent.

Eligibility Requirements

In order to be eligible for any of these programs you must be older than 67 and considered low income in relation to the average income of your area. The age requirement can be waived in the situation where the applying person is disabled and cannot work.

Methods of Application

There is a list of contact methods available on the HUD’s website [] that includes phone numbers, emails and fax details. Contacting the HUD directly in this way is the best way to apply and will have the shortest amount of waiting time. However, there is the drawback that you will need to know exactly what you are applying for. If you are still unsure then going into a government office or talking to a welfare advisor can give you a way to apply for a program whilst also getting some advice. An important thing to remember, however, is to take in all of your relevant welfare and financial information when applying as this will greatly reduce waiting times.

Other Types of Support for Elderly Citizens

If you need further help in your day-to-day life there are other help programs also available through the HUD. The primary one is ‘meals on wheels’ or food delivery services which are greta for people who have trouble preparing their own food. There are also repairs and maintenance support programs where you can have someone come out to help with general maintenance for a small cost. All of these additional programs are great for people that have applied for low income housing for seniors and the elderly.

Find Low Income Housing for Seniors and the Elderly 2012 – Homes For Vulnerable Citizens
General Contributor
Janice is a writer from Chicago, IL. She created the "simple living as told by me" newsletter with more than 12,000 subscribers about Living Better and is a founder of Seekyt.

Latest news

Japanese Owl Meaning and Symbolism

If you're wondering about the Japanese owl meaning and symbolism in Asian cultures, the Owl, along with Maneki Neko...

What Are the Signs of Depression in Women

Gender and depression have long been the scope of research in the field of emotional disorders; most authors believe...

Top 7 Superfoods for Men to Stay Young

Superfoods are generally regarded as targeted foods that provide the maximum nutritional benefit - thus these foods are nutritionally-dense...

Best Brain foods for Kids – Boost Brain Power and Keep Sharp

A child's brain is developing rapidly and if you want them to improve their performance in school and their...

7 of the Best Brain Foods for Studying

The foods that you eat can improve the functioning of your brain. Just like drugs, foods have amino acids,...

B12 Shots for Dogs – 10 Key Benefits

The end of 2010, my little dog -- a 7-pound Papillon -- became very stressed after a flood in...

Must read

Pacific Rim Soundtrack

German-born film composer Ramon Djawadi has been tapped...

transformer legends class devastator review

welcome to my first review hopefully i will...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you