News Gynecomastia Affects Millions of Teenagers

Gynecomastia Affects Millions of Teenagers


As a young man goes through his teenage years, he will experience a wide variety of changes. His facial and body hair will start to form, his muscles develop, his voice deepens, and a whole host of other changes. Along with those changes are rapid hormonal changes. These fluctuating hormones are what cause the external changes. One of those is gynecomastia.

What is Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia is a fancy way of saying breast growth in males. This condition is really only critical when the growth becomes excessive or even noticeable. Fortunately, most young men do not have noticeable gynecomastia.

There are a number of external factors, however, that can spark breast growth in young men. Each of them causes the body to produce an abundance of the hormone prolactin. This hormone is found in young mothers who are nursing; in other words in young women who need to have bigger breasts that lactate. However, when a young man has too much prolactin, he develops breasts.

Prescription Medications Cause Gynecomastia

There are a number of prescription drugs that can cause gynecomastia. One of these drugs is Risperdal, an atypical antipsychotic used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It turns out that this drug, while it is effective in controlling thought patterns, has the severe side effect of causing breast growth.

The drug works to block dopamine and serotonin receptors. At the same time the body compensates by producing an abundance of prolactin. If this prolactin is in the system for too long, the young man can begin to grow breasts. If the drug is not stopped, that breast growth can advance quite far and the only way to reverse it is through surgical removal.

What to Do

If you are currently using Risperdal (or its cousin Invega) the best thing to do is to stop using the drug right away if you notice you are suffering from breast growth. Talk to your doctor and find out what your options are. If the growth has progressed and medical intervention is needed, you may want to talk to a personal injury attorney.

Gynecomastia Affects Millions of Teenagers
General Contributor
Janice is a writer from Chicago, IL. She created the "simple living as told by me" newsletter with more than 12,000 subscribers about Living Better and is a founder of Seekyt.

Latest news

Japanese Owl Meaning and Symbolism

If you're wondering about the Japanese owl meaning and symbolism in Asian cultures, the Owl, along with Maneki Neko...

What Are the Signs of Depression in Women

Gender and depression have long been the scope of research in the field of emotional disorders; most authors believe...

Top 7 Superfoods for Men to Stay Young

Superfoods are generally regarded as targeted foods that provide the maximum nutritional benefit - thus these foods are nutritionally-dense...

Best Brain foods for Kids – Boost Brain Power and Keep Sharp

A child's brain is developing rapidly and if you want them to improve their performance in school and their...

7 of the Best Brain Foods for Studying

The foods that you eat can improve the functioning of your brain. Just like drugs, foods have amino acids,...

B12 Shots for Dogs – 10 Key Benefits

The end of 2010, my little dog -- a 7-pound Papillon -- became very stressed after a flood in...

Must read

The Benefits Of Security Steel Doors

As time goes on, the amount of thefts...

A Perfect Add on for your Camping Trip: Pocket Knife

Do you love your hunting and camping getaways...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you