For healthy hair, Oz Garcia goes straight to the sourceproteinand recommends 5 powerful supplements that no diet should be without
“Red meat, like flank steak, sirloin, or filet mignon, is an excellent source of high-quality protein. I recommend 1 1/2 lbs. of red meat, approximately two hamburgers, every week. Vegetarians can get high-quality protein from other sources: flax oil, olive oil, canola oil, feta cheese, mozzarella, lentils, black beans, chick peas, and soy-based products like tofu.
“Eating only fat-free foods is not smart. Eliminating too much fat has consequences, ranging in seriousness from dull, dry hair to unstable hormone levels.
“When paired with a well-balanced diet, dietary supplements are phenomenal for maintaining healthy hair.
These five are the best combination out there:
1. Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids (at least 1000mg/day): Important for regulating hormone levels that affect the quality and shine of your hair, omega fatty acids can be taken in a supplement form known as ETA/GLA. They also occur naturally in fatty fish, such as tuna, salmon, cod, and halibutI recommend no less than two servings of fish per week. Other sources include olive oil, canola oil, and fish oil.
2. MSM (500-2000mg/day): Also known as dietary sulphur, this supplement is wonderful for improving the hair, increasing thickness after 2-3 months. Natural sources of MSM include eggs, beans, and broccoli.
You are what you eat.
3. Knox gelatin: One packet per day, mixed with juice or water, provides a rich protein base for healthy hair. It’s also available through Nutrijoint, a new supplement fortified with calcium and vitamin C touted for strengthening joints and bones, but also amazing for improving hair. Either option will produce visible results after 30 days.
4. Horsetail (200 mg/day): One of the first things I do with a new client is test the volumes of minerals in the hair. More often than not, I find very low levels of silicaa strengthening compound needed to fortify the hair shaft and to prevent breakage. Horsetail is an excellent source of silica and will improve your hairfs tenacity within 30 days.
5. A multi-mineral: Choose one that provides all the important trace minerals, like calcium, zinc, and iron. If your diet is lacking in certain areas, this supplement is a great insurance policy to protect against various mineral deficiencies.