Coughing is a natural health reflex often caused by infection and irritation in throat.It sometimes creates difficulty in breathing when severe in form. Coughing is the result of the secretion of excess mucus in the air passages of lungs when get inflamed and infected. This burning sensation leads to coughing which sometimes becomes really threatening. It may wake you up through the whole night and makes you tired, exhausted and weak. It reduces your immunity power and results in illness. When cough produces mucus it is called productive cough in which phlegm is present. The other type of cough that does not produce mucus is known as dry cough that is caused by dust, allergy, weather change, smoking, asthma and pollens. A persistent cough needs immediate care and treatment by a professional but apart from that some natural home remedies are also extremely useful to stop coughing.
Some of the Home remedies for Cough:
- Make a paste with ground almonds for dry cough. Add 20 gms of both sugar and butter to the paste. Take it in the morning and evening everyday.
- Raw onion can be used in various ways to treat cough effectively. Chop one onion to extract its juice. Take one teaspoon of onion juice and add one teaspoon of honey with it. Leave it for 4 to 5 hours and it will form a useful cough syrup that should be taken twice a day. Again you can crush half an onion and add one teaspoon of lemon juice with the onion juice. You can also apply one teaspoon of honey in it for the sake of taste. Take it three times a day.
- In case of severe cough you can fast on orange juice. Take the juice of an orange and mix it in a cup of warm water. Take this mixture after every two hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Another effective treatment is with the application of turmeric plant. Crush the root of turmeric plant into powder and take 3gms of it everyday in the morning and evening. You can also add one gram turmeric powder with one teaspoon of honey for the same cause. Or half a teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed with 30ml. warm water can be taken twice everyday to cure dry cough.
- Raisin sauce is also helpful in healing a cough. Make this sauce by grinding 100gm raisin and 100gm water and allow the sauce to heat for sometime. After that preserve this sauce and take 20gm.of it daily before going to bed.
- If you are having severe Bronchitis or Whooping cough then Tulasi is the best herb that can be used to cure it. It has anti-inflammatory and diaphoretic properties that help in decreasing respiratory problem.
- Get 2 cups of cherries, lemon slices and 2 cups of honey and put this mixture in a pan and boil it until the cherries become soft. Remove the heat and take away the cherry pits and slices of the lemon.Store them in a low temperature and take accordingly to get rid of coughing.
- A dry cough can be cured by using Aniseeds.It clears up the mucus.You can take the tea made by the spice regularly for a better result.
- Ginger tea is a great home remedy for cough.Add some ginger pieces into boiled water and then put the tea leaves in it. It will surely serve the purpose effectively.
- One of the home remedies that proves to be beneficial to frequent dry cough is having the mixture of one tablespoon of cuscus grass with four tablespoon of coconut milk before going to bed.
- Lastly a proper diet with fresh fruits and vegetable like whole grains and those having vitamins is to be followed.And moreover habits like smoking or being in a polluted environment for long should be given up to prevent cough.