There are specific steps you need to take when building your following. But first here is what not to do…
1. Don’t search your market and follow everyone listed. There is a ratio of following to followers. You will only be able to follow 2000 people if they aren’t following you. And besides, most of the people who you follow won’t necassarily want to listen to you anyway.
2. Don’t just mention people with no content and zero reason why you should mention them.
Here is what you should do.
1. Find the wheel hub. Figure out who some broad reaching people or organizations you could follow. If you sell hair salon products, maybe you should follow the ‘american hair salon owners association’ (I don’t know if there is such a thing). The hub of a wheel has spokes reaching out. Find hubs and follow them.
2. Mention and #. You should rarely post something without a mention and a hashtag.
3. You should have a link to a webpage, a picture or a video often.
3. Be a person. Dont be a newsreal. Don’t just spit out news article after news article. Include personal anticdotes.. ‘uggghhh, just spilled coffee all over my #colts jersey @mywashingmachine’
4. Interact. Be sure to initiate conversations as well as participate in them when they occur.
Follow these simple rules and you will be well on your way to succeeding in gaining high quality followers.