This is why we can not speak of a physical examination which may be valid for all puppies, if you want to talk about the aesthetic.
However, we can examine any puppy from the perspective of their health – or to be exact a “wellness” at this point, because it is not a medical visit! – Analyzing several factors that are almost identical for all races.
1. Eyes of the puppy should be joyful, sincere and most importantly, clean. A too abundant lacrimation is always a bad sign. If it is fresh, it can be a symptom of irritation (conjunctivitis), if it is dry, it is even more alarming because it may be a sign of distemper .
Warning: if one of the puppies has symptoms of a serious infectious disease, it is not enough to remove it. Indeed, there is a good chance that the infection has spread to all puppies and dog (perhaps because it is the lowest) is the first to show signs.
2. Within the puppy’s ears should be clean and odorless. A strong odor may indicate the presence of mites (runny ear).
3. Mucous puppy should be well pigmented (black), up to the age of three months, however, their pigmentation may be incomplete. Few small pink spots in the very young puppy are not worrisome, if it persists after the age of three to four months, however, it would also be a default.
4. A puppy still shows its teeth, not definitive, and we can not yet know if it will be complete. However, we can already see whether the closure is correct prognathism.
5. Perianal area of the puppy should be clean. Yellowish spots around the anus are signs of diarrhea and intestinal problems and therefore indicate the presence of parasites.
6. At the age of two months of age, the male puppy must have both testicles descended into the scrotum well: they are not always visible, but can be felt by palpation. The absence of a testicle (monorchidie) or two (cryptorchidism) is a serious problem which excludes the dog shows and breeding: thus, if the puppy is still not perfect at this level, we must postpone the purchase.
In addition to being hereditary, and thus transmitted to its offspring, this defect may have consequences for the dog itself: indeed, the testicle retained in the abdomen, subjected to excessive heat, can degenerate into tumor and should be removed by surgery.
7. If the puppy’s abdomen is stretched or swollen, it may indicate the presence of intestinal parasites . Warning: if just eaten a very healthy puppy can be stretched and swollen belly. In this case, we must observe again a few hours later. The abdominal skin should be smooth and pink and make neither pustules or rashes.
8. Haired puppy should be shiny and almost odorless (apart from “smells layer” normal). The presence of one or two chips should not alarm us: it is almost impossible to eliminate all scope, especially in farming. A serious infestation, however, is a sign of poor general farming itself.