Natural Ways to Get Rid of Ants from Your Home
Ants perform part in nature as for example they aerate the soil, control the population of other insects and help break down organic matter. In spite of If ants has invaded our home, it is very annoying and it is a real challenge to get rid of them. But there is a solution of every problem and if you follow the tips in this hub, you should definitely be able to keep your home free of ants.
At first a general outline about the steps you can take to rid your home of ants without using any toxic materials.
· Cleaning Your Home
1. Majority of ant species do not like clean places. So it is most important to keep your home clean to get rid of ant.
2. Make sure there are no food spills, crumbs of bread or anything else sitting out for ants to eat in your kitchen. Always keep your kitchen clean. Ants can find food residues even when we cannot see or smell them so we must not only clean but sanitize common food areas with something such as a vinegar and water mixture to eliminate the food residues as well as the ants scent trails which guide them back to tasty areas. Clean the bathrooms with the mixture as well, ants like to get into hair products and cosmetics sometimes depending on the ingredients.
3. Clean kitchen counters with water-vinegar mixture every day.
4. Store food in the refrigerator, or in air-tight containers. Avoid to keep keep containers of food on the floor.
5. Never leave dirty dishes sitting out, and make sure there is no standing water in the sink for ants to drink (Remember ants also drink).
6. Vacuum your entire house and get into all the crevices and corners to get all food particles up. If the ants are getting into your carpet you can sprinkle some borax or diatomaceous earth on the carpet before vacuuming.
Natural ways to get rid of ants
Natural ways to get rid of ants
Use aromatic spice to get rid of ants
Sprinkle an aromatic ground spice such as cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, etc. around areas where the ants are coming. Generally ants do not like these spices and normally won’t cross the line after a little while. Also sprinkle the spices around your house to create a barrier. Peppermint, spearmint, lavender, sage, and other aromatic herbs work well too, place them in cabinets, on door jambs, under rugs, etc. to keep your house unfavorable for ants.
Fresh squeezed lemon also works well for around doors and windows.
How to get rid of ants from yards
Pour boiling water to kills the ants and hopefully the eggs and queen if the boiling water gets deep enough.
Plant aromatic herbs and plants around the perimeter of your home which will significantly reduce the number of ants trying to invade. Some good plants you can choose are eucalyptus, clove, lemon balm, cedar etc.
Get rid of ants naturally
Get rid of ants naturally
Baits are great to get rid of ants
Baits can be used very effectively to kill ants.
Make your own ant bait
- Ants like sweet. So mix a sweetener and boric acid or borax to make a perfect bait for ants.
How to apply bait
- Bait is used to attract ant.
1. Apply bait alongside ant trails.
2. Never interfere with ants carrying bait back to their nests. They need to poison the queen for your kitchen to be safe again.
3. You can use ant baits outsides and indoors.
4. Use bait in your house cautiously otherwise you may attract more ants. Use baits where there’s an ant problem only.
4. Try small portions of different baits to see what the ants respond to before you embark on a vigorous ant-baiting program.
Natural Ant Control
· Spray white vinegar mixed with water to get rid of the ants scent trails if they cant smell their scent trails, theyll stop coming around.
· Even more ant-fighting power: vinegar and water, with about ten drops of tea tree oil mixed in. This is an excellent cleaner, disinfectant, and deodorizer.
· Place bay leaves or cloves at their point of entry. Ants hate the scent of these, and will avoid them.
· You can also try sprinkling cayenne pepper at their point of entry.
How to Get Rid of Ants Safely
More simple and effective home remedies
- Spray white vinegar mixed with water to get rid of the ants scent trails if they cant smell their scent trails, theyll stop coming around.
- Place bay leaves or cloves at their point of entry. Ants hate the scent of these, and will avoid them.
- You can also try sprinkling cayenne pepper at their point of entry.
- Use cucumber to get rid off ants. Ants dont like the taste of cucumber. Placing small piece of cucumber in ants affected area will force them to leave your home.
- Spray soap water on the entry points of ants as well as cabinets and other areas. This is another effective home remedy to get rid off ants permanently.
- Crush dried mint leaves and spread the powder in areas prone to ant attack. You can even use mint tea bags. This is considered to be one of theeffective home remedies to kill ants.
- Spreading chili powder on the hives and nests of ants is the best way to prevent ants entering your house.
- Another best way to check ants entering your house is to spray peppermint oil in all the room corners, kitchen and cabinets.
- Table salt is also one of the effective home remedies to get rid of ants. Add salt to boiling water and prepare a salt solution. Now spray this salt solution in all corners of your house.
- In the similar way you can spread cinnamon powder on the path followed by ants. This is considered to be effective way to march ants out of your house.
- Sometimes ants gain access to houses by crawling across the branches of trees or bushes. If this is the case in your situation, simply trimming back these branches away from the house can prevent future invasions.
- Interestingly, some people have discovered that ants will not cross a line of chalk or talcum powder. This means that you can draw these magical lines in strategic locations to keep ants out of specific areas.
- An important preventive measure is to use silicon caulking to seal any cracks where ants might be getting in. If you have any drafty doors, you can apply weather strips to seal off these types of gaps.