Do your boys act like zombies in front of the TV ignoring you and their homework? I think it is time to turn the TV off. I am a homeschooling mother of three, 2 boys and one baby girl. I’m often asked by my non-homeschooling friends what my children do if they’re not watching TV or playing on the computer or video games. The answer is, they play. Their room is filled with boxes of toys, what use in keeping all of them if they are not put to use.
If left on their own my boys will:
- build with legos, k’nex, or blocks
- play with play dough
- play with their train set
- build a fort with chairs or couch cushions and a bed sheet
- make a comic book
- draw or write a story
- pretend play involving weapons and a huge battle scene
- dress up – again involving weapons and a huge battle scene
- colour or paint
- make movies
- play with bubbles
- play with the pets or teach them new tricks
- play with their baby sister
- play outside
- read books or comic books
- listen to audio books
- take apart old household appliances/gadgets (make sure they aren’t plugged in)
- play board or card games
- build puzzles
- draw with chalk outside on the sidewalk
We don’t have a garage but they would love to build with tools or cut wood or help their father with any little projects.
I don’t have cable nor do I care to. If I want to watch a TV show myself I wait until the kids are asleep and watch my shows online or else they sit there watching with me. I don’t know what it is about TV that makes them watch in awe with eyes glued to the screen and mouth agape. I am not completely against TV, just in moderation. All school work must be completed before the TV comes on, this applies to the computer and any video games as well.
If all else fails and they still come to you, complaining that they are bored, give them some chores to complete. I guarantee you they will not complain about being bored to you again. I’m looking forward to being able to sit down and have a tea party with my little girl some day. Even if you don’t homeschool these are great ways to keep your boys occupied.
What can you do to keep your toddlers occupied? Visit Savvy Homeschool.