The focus of this article is on how to make a protein shake. People who work out on a regular basis or are simply serious about their health often drink protein shakes.
Benefits of Protein Shakes
Muscles, bone, skin, and other tissues are made of protein. When broken down to basic components, protein shakes are made up of protein, carbohydrates and fat. There are a variety of flavors available.
Thus, protein shakes can help muscles recover faster after a workout, both by providing protein as well as glycogen. They can also increase the percentage of lean muscle. Protein shakes can also be a healthy alternative for a meal. Depending on your goals, protein shakes have been used to gain weight or to lose it.
People who consume protein shakes also have fewer infections, less heat exhaustion and less muscle soreness.
- Roughly 15 to 20 minutes after the end of your workout is when your muscles need protein the most.
- Use skim milk in the recipe and also limit fat and carbohydrates if you are trying to lose weight and whole milk with an additional scoop of protein if you are trying to gain weight.
- You can use soy milk instead of regular milk if you are vegan or have a dairy allergy.
The recommended daily requirement for protein is for 0.75 grams per kilogram of body weight. Most people easily get the protein they need from their diet. The only people with a risk for deficiencies are very active people who restrict their calorie intake or strict vegetarians. The daily recommendation for these people is 1.4 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram. Endurance athletes should consume 1 to 1.6 grams while strength or power athletes require 1.6 to 2.0 grams.
Ingredients in a Protein Shake
Protein shakes are made from a variety of ingredients in differing amounts. These ingredients can include milk, whey, casein, egg, and soy. Let’s take a closer look at the protein found in each of these ingredients:
- Whey protein is found in milk, is fast-absorbing yet stored for a shorter time and is a good choice after intense workouts.
Jillian Michaels Natural Whey Protein, Pure Protein , Vanilla Cream Shake, 14 Ounce for $9.92.
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard 5 lbs. for $52.99
- Casein protein is the main protein found in milk, it is slow-absorbing while remaining in the body for longer and is a good meal replacement or for drinking before bed.
Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein 2 lbs. for $34.59.
- Soy protein is as effective as animal source proteins, although there is a myth that soy protein lowers blood levels of testosterone and reduces lean body mass.
You can also purchase ready-made protein shakes.
Pure Protein Ready to Drink Shake 35 Grams Protein, Frosty Chocolate (Pack of 12) for $27.40.
This protein shake is not low-calorie.
Special K Protein Shakes, Milk Chocolate, 4-Count Bottles (Pack of 6) for $29.94.
You get 24 bottles with 10 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber in each bottle.
BSN Syntha-6 Protein Powder 3 lbs. for $29.75.
This is a powder that is mixed with water or milk.
If taken correctly, protein shakes are excellent sources of protein for body builders, endurance athletes or even for people who just regularly work out.