HomeNewsImmigration reforms in...

Immigration reforms in the USA

On November 20, 2014, President Obama announced a decree by which he intends to fix the immigration system that works poorly in the US. Obama’ s presidential decree is not an immigration reform, which the US Congress has not received to date.
Let’s look at the changes that the immigrants to the US will feel from the presidential decree in the near future.
Deferred action for citizens’ parents and permanent residents
President Obama introduced a deferred action for parents who are in the US illegally, who have a child citizen or permanent resident of the US. Under the new program, deferred action or deportation reprieve (DAPA), will receive an illegal immigrant who:
• entered the US before January 1, 2010;
• resides in the US (the immigrant must be in the US on November 20, 2014 and at the time of applying for deferred action);
• who has a child that is a citizen or a resident of the US on November 20, 2014;
• is in the US without legal status on November 20, 2014;
• has not committed serious crimes and whose deportation is not a priority for the government;
Immigration Law and deferred action
Illegal immigrants that meet the criteria described above, can get only a delay of deportation and permission to work in the US for three years. Deferred action (delay of deportation) can be taken away any time. Deferred action does not open the way to obtain a residence in the US (green card) or a citizenship, as only the immigration reform (which is not passed in the US Congress) can provide this.
Requirements for deferred action
Immigration Service will begin accepting applications for deferred action from parents until May 19, 2015. You will need to fill out an application, be fingerprinted and pay a fee of $ 465.
Deferred action for those who arrived in childhood (DACA)
One more category of people won by the presidential decree. They are those who:
– arrived in the US before the sixteenth birthday;
– study in school or graduated from high school or have served in the army or border troops;
– are not been convicted of a serious crime to the prison term of more than a year, for a significant offence, or three or more minor offences;
– do not pose threat to public safety.
Requirements for applying a deferred action.
Presidential decree took away an age limit. Now, it doesn’t matter how old is the applicant for deferred action for those who arrived in the childhood;
Obama’s presidential decree replaced the requirement for permanent residence in the US from June 15, 2007 on the requirement to enter and reside permanently in the US since January 1, 2010;
Presidential decree changed the period of work permission in this category from two years to three years.
Form I-601A, Provisional Waiver of Unlawful presence
Spouses and children of citizens and permanent residents of the US who illegally entered and / or are in the US illegally can get a green card through their spouses or parents. Parents, spouses of US citizens, as well as the children of citizens under 21 years old can get their green card without leaving the US if they legally entered the US and stayed longer the allowed period by the deadline. If they crossed the border without a visa or are not parents, spouses, children under 21 years, they have to leave the US and go through an interview at the US consulate in their country to get the green card.
The new immigration law changes for lifting the ban on entry into the US
Now the spouses and children of permanent residents of the US, as well as adult sons and daughters of US citizens and permanent residents of the US will be able to submit such a request without leaving the US.
Since immigration reform failed in Congress, you should be content with existing immigration news and procedures for petitioning for lifting the ban on entering the US.
Immigration laws

Get notified whenever we post something new!


Create a website from scratch

Just drag and drop elements in a page to get started with Newspaper Theme.

Continue reading

Kidney Failure in Dogs, What you Need to Know

Kidney failure is a common problem in both cats and dogs usually associated with old age. It is a progressive and degenerative disease normally although there is an acute form. It is not common to catch the disease in...

How to Listen to Police Scanner Online

Interested in learning how to listen to police scanner online? Millions of people listen to police scanners online and on their mobile phones every day. What you’ll hear is real-time, live dialogue between various first responders and dispatchers. You’ll...

Sample Letter of Intent to Occupy

A sample letter of intent to occupy can be a very important document. There are times you are looking for a location to establish your business and you’ve just discovered the perfect one. However, there are a...

Enjoy exclusive access to all of our content

Get an online subscription and you can unlock any article you come across.