HomeNewsIsopropyl Alcohol Poisoning,Symptoms...

Isopropyl Alcohol Poisoning,Symptoms and Treatment

Isopropyl Alcohol Poisoning

Isopropyl, also known as isopropanol or rubbing alcohol, is a form of alcohol which is made using the combination of water and propane. It is highly toxic. Isopropyl alcohol is commonly used as a disinfectant, antifreeze, and as a solvent or a cleaning agent, skin lotions, mouthwashes, and typically comprises 70 percent of ‘rubbing alcohol.’ People ingest isopropyl alcohol to become intoxicated or to harm themselves. When ingested, isopropyl alcohol functions primarily as a central nervous system (CNS) inebriant and depressant, and its toxicity and treatment resemble that of ethanol. A mere eight ounces is considered to be lethal. It is known as “Blue Heaven” by abusers. It is said that some alcoholics will abuse this stuff while they are in institutional care because of the wide availability of IPA in hospitals and other medical facilities, while other abusers seem to prefer it using it over ordinary ethanol alcohol. It is a common substitute for alcohol amongst alcoholics. The effects of consumption of this form of alcohol will resemble drunkenness but can actually last for a lot longer, up to 4 times as long as the drunken timeframe commonly associated with “normal” alcoholic drinks.

Symptoms of Isopropyl Alcohol Poisoning

The symptoms are normally felt within the range of 10 to 30 minutes. This is going to depend on several factors including how much food has been consumed.

1) As OD symptoms start to appear the victim will start to feel nausea and will begin vomiting.

2) He will also suffer from pains in the stomach and his respiration will become severely depressed.

3) Other symptoms can include “vomiting blood, excessive sweating, hemorrhaging in their trachea and bronchial tubes, pneumonia, swelling, and coma.”

4) It also includes flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, and anesthesia. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

Treatment for Isopropyl Alcohol Poisoning

Emergency help must be sought immediately. The liver turns isopropyl alcohol into acetone so if you have ingested this substance or inhaled this substance then you need to get medical attention immediately. In addition, supportive treatment for alcohol poisoning usually includes IV fluids. This is to prevent or treat dehydration that may result from vomiting, and it also replaces electrolytes. In some cases, a person’s stomach may be pumped to remove any alcohol left in the stomach. However, by the time alcohol poisoning occurs, there is often little or no alcohol left in the stomach; it has already all entered the blood stream.

Get notified whenever we post something new!

spot_img

Create a website from scratch

Just drag and drop elements in a page to get started with Newspaper Theme.

Continue reading

Kidney Failure in Dogs, What you Need to Know

Kidney failure is a common problem in both cats and dogs usually associated with old age. It is a progressive and degenerative disease normally although there is an acute form. It is not common to catch the disease in...

How to Listen to Police Scanner Online

Interested in learning how to listen to police scanner online? Millions of people listen to police scanners online and on their mobile phones every day. What you’ll hear is real-time, live dialogue between various first responders and dispatchers. You’ll...

Sample Letter of Intent to Occupy

A sample letter of intent to occupy can be a very important document. There are times you are looking for a location to establish your business and you’ve just discovered the perfect one. However, there are a...

Enjoy exclusive access to all of our content

Get an online subscription and you can unlock any article you come across.