Aspiring bloggers will not need to look far to find a plethora of articles instructing them in the ways to first design and set up their blogs, and then to build a readership. This is probably the easiest part of the process. The real challenge which is not so well-addressed is how best to maintain a blog over a period of years. Bloggers start out with the best of writing intentions, but after a few months their blogging output invariably fades. The novelty wears off and the content stagnates. Often the blogging ceases.
Is there a magic formula to guarantee blogging longevity? Well, there are several strategies that cant hurt.
1. Set realistic long-term blogging goals. In the beginning, you might decide that updating your blog twice a week is completely feasible. Once you begin, you then feel as if you have an obligation to continue producing content at the same output. Over-producing content at the start will mean you run out of ideas quickly, or else stress about continually producing fresh material. If youre in blogging for the long haul, it is best to pace yourself. Start with a modest publishing plan, aiming for quality above quantity. And dont feel obliged to anyone if you miss a self-imposed deadline.
2. Find new communities. Read WordPress Freshly Pressed articles regularly. Comment on new blogs and check out the posts of people who have commented on your blog. Continually searching for new blogs and bloggers will ensure that your audience stays fresh and, by extension, so will your writing.
3. Make use of prompts. Check out the Daily Prompts blog from WordPress it will give you ideas of topics to write on that you may not have thought about. These can create opportunities to take your writing in new directions and prevent your inspiration from drying up.
4. Keep your expertise fresh. If you have decided to blog on a particular theme, it is important to take the time to keep your knowledge up to date. If your main area of interest is photography, play around with different cameras or attend a photography workshop. If you write about technology, take time to learn what is an ultrabook or what everybody was talking about at a recent conference. Watching your niche develop will allow your ideas and perspectives to develop too.
5. Take part in blogging initiatives. There are a lot of blogging challenges out there to try, like the 30-Day Blog Challenge. In addition to the challenge helping to keep you motivated about your blog, another benefit comes from expanding your audience other bloggers taking part in the same initiatives will be able to find your posts through your tags.
6. Take part in blogging initiatives. There are a lot of blogging challenges out there to try, like the 30-Day Blog Challenge. In addition to the challenge helping to keep you motivated about your blog, another benefit comes from expanding your audience other bloggers taking part in the same initiatives will be able to find your posts through your tags.
A good WordPress blog is one that withstands the test of time; a good blogger is one who is prepared to undertake writing as a long-term project. Good luck!