Maglite LED Conversion
Maglite LED (Light Emitting Diode) conversion is easy to do with a Maglite LED conversion kit. Ordinary flashlights use incandescent bulbs that give off a dull yellow light that quickly drains battery life compared to the higher quality and brighter light Of LEDs. So a Maglite LED conversion will not only give you a better flashlight, it will save you money by extending battery life. You have the option of a single or multiple LED conversion. Theyre also manufactured in a variety of colors such as black, silver, blue, and red. The money savings start with quality Maglite LED conversion kits, which are inexpensive and very efficient. A quick check of Amazon.com for Maglite LED conversion kits return some of the leading manufacturers like TerraLux and Nite Ize conversion kits and parts for a variety of models.
Heres a list of the different sizes and characteristics of Mag Instrument flashlights:
- D and C battery models where some of the first to go on the market and targeted the public safety and industrial sectors. The 7D, 5C, 6C, and 7C models arent manufactured anymore.
- MagCharger – Incandescent Halogen bulbs and rechargeable NiCad or NiMH battery packs make this light much brighter than typical Maglites. Its a larger more expensive model popular with public safety and emergency-services personnel.
- Mini Maglite – Maglite’s first personal size flashlight uses two AA cell batteries.
- The two AAA cell battery Mini Maglite. A smaller version of the original Mini Maglite, for industrial, scientific and medical applications
- Maglite Solitaire – Uses one AAA cell battery. Mag Instrument’s key chain flashlight.
- Maglite LED Flashlight and Upgrade Module: 3-watt Luxeon III LED.
- Mini Maglite LED 2AA and 3AA.
- MagCharger The MagChargers upgraded Nickel/Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery pack increases charge time and second-generation Halogen bulb increases light output.
- Next Generation Mag-LED Technology: Featuring a new Luxeon Rebel LED and extended battery life.
- Maglite XL100 – Has an option to use a motion-controlled user interface using a built-in accelerometer.
- Maglite XL50 – A simpler version of the XL100, featuring three modes that can be activated with consecutive presses of the tailcap switch. The XL50 offers a lower retail price than the XL100.
- A variety of LED and rechargeable flashlights introduced in 2011.
- Maglite XL200 Is similar to the XL100 but with higher lumen output.
The basic Maglite LED conversion is easy to do and you need is minimal mechanical ability.
Maglite LED Conversion
1. Find a well lit flat area that you can clear off to use as a workspace and lay out your flashlight and LED conversion kit.
2. Unscrew your flashlights tailcap and remove the batteries from your flashlight.
3.Remove the flashlights bezel being careful of the lens and rubber gasket.
4. Remove the bulb that youre changing from the flashlight and use the leads from the old bulb as a guide to trim the leads on the new LED to approximately the same length as the leads on the old bulb thats being replaced.
5. Put the new LED into the lamp head and screw the reflector, lens, and seal back onto the lamp head.
6. Put new batteries in the flashlight and screw the bezel back on. (At this point you could choose to switch out the standard flat bezel, or lens cap, for a crenulated bezel as part of your LED conversion. (Crenulated bezels extend away from the flashlights lens and have a jagged front edge).
7. To complete the Maglite conversion, screw the tailcap back on or use a glass breaking end cap. Glass breaking end caps are cone shaped and screw onto the end of the flashlight with the point of the cone extending away from the barrel of the flashlight.
8. Try turning the flashlight on and you should get higher quality, brighter LED light. If not, dont panic just yet, unscrew the lamp head and remove the LED. Turn the leads on the LED 180° and insert them back into the holes in the lamp base.
Maglite LED conversion kits can be purchased at retailers like Best Buy, Radio Shack, and from online retailers like eBay and Amazon.
Save on Your Maglite LED Conversion Kit Buy at Amazon
Maglite Notes of Interest
The number of private collectors of MagLites is growing due to frequent releases of models with special paint schemes and models that are mass produced, but not readily available. As an example, the pink AA can only be found at some Walmart stores and collector outlets.
Some Mini Maglites come with a nylon belt holster for quick and easy access.
Some police departments are moving away from using Maglites after allegations of excessive force when officers used their Maglite as a club during altercations with suspects.
Some Maglites also have a spare incandescent bulb in the tailcap. Once you do a Maglite LED conversion you shouldn’t need that spare because of LED’s long life.