Causes of stretch marks
Stretch marks are scars. Although their cause is unknown, it is thought that a lack of support in the dermis, the skin’s middle layer, leads to a collagen build-up in over-stretched tissue. The results are pink or purple lines that fade over time and become shallow white scars. This transition is important since older scars are more difficult to treat, according to Dr. Candido Fuentes-Felix, a board-certified plastic surgeon in Huntington, New York. How quickly stretch marks fade depends on your age and fairness of skin. The younger and fairer you are, the slower the process.
With a sudden gain in weight fine lines are produced on the body and these lines are called stretch marks. During teenage years it is the normal thing that happens in many girls and boys. In the medical term it is called striae gravidarum.
Causes of stretch marks
Pregnancy lead to the development of stretch marks in the abdomen, hip and breast region, where there is high deposition of fat.
Obesity tends to the development of stretch marks in men as well as women.
Genetics and hormones also contribute to developing stretch marks.
Teenagers also develop stretch marks as various changes are observed in their body parts in their growing age.
Eating unbalanced food not rich in necessary minerals and vitamins also contribute to stretch marks.
- Rapid growth particularly in adolescents
- Vary in physical conditions
Homemade stretch mark creams
Cocoa butter is probably the best known home remedy cream for stretch marks. It’s healthy benefits include keeping the skin soft and pliable. One homemade stretch mark cream recipe which includes cocoa butter is below.
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1 Tablespoon wheat germ oil
- 1 Teaspoon apricot kernel oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 2 Teaspoon grated beeswax
Heat mixture until beeswax is just melted. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Apply this cream to your stretch marks until desired results are achieved.
Shea butter is a relative newcomer to the stretch mark home remedy field. Natural shea butter is an excellent source of Vitamins A and E which are essential for good skin health. Try rubbing shea butter on your stretch marks 2 to 3 times a day to help with the healing process.
How to get rid of stretch marks – Home Remedy
Treat stretch marks using olive oil – Apply a good amount of olive oil on your stretch marks and cover them with plastic wrap. Get a hot water bottle and place on the plastic wrap for about half an hour. Do this each day, twice if you have the time. After using this remedy for a week none of my stretch marks are noticable.
Treat stretch marks using peanut butter – This is a great remedy for removing old stretch marks. Mix together 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and and 1 teaspoon of crisco. Apply the paste to your stretch marks and leave it there for 15 minutes before washing it off. Do this 3 times a week and you will notice your stretch marks disappear.
Treat stretch marks using Flaxseed oil – Using Flaxseed oil on your stretch marks will fade your stretch marks making them less noticable. Flaxseed oil is also good for any types of scars or tissue damage. It helps heal them quickly and makes them less noticable.
New Treatment Helps Reduce Stretch Marks
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
Home remedies are effective to get rid of stretch marks but during pregnancy do take advice of your doctor before using it
- Applying lavender oil on the marks three times in a day will fade up the marks
- Application of Aloe Vera gel or vitamin E also benefits to cure stretch marks
- Application of Vaseline intensive care lotion on the stomach during pregnancy assists in the prevention of stretch marks
- Application of vitamin K cream is helpful in the treatment of stretch marks.
- The foods enclose vitamin K can also be included in the diet and they are green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, liver and dairy products
- Eating fine amounts of seeds and nuts that contain zinc prevent stretch marks
- Rubbing hips and abdomen gently using warm olive oil improves blood circulation, minimize stretch marks, and relax you to a greater extent.
- Massage your abdomen gently using calendula oil which is effective herb used for cooking and medicinal purpose. This reduces the stretch marks and improves blood circulation. This is one of the important home remedies for stretch marks..
- Rubbing castor oil on stomach, hips also reduces stretch marks.
- Gentle rubbing of warm olive oil on the abdomen and hips betters one’s blood circulation and helps reduce stretch marks to a great degree.
- Take 1/2 a cup virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup aloe vera gel, liquid from 6 capsules of Vitamin E, liquid from 4 capsules of Vitamin A. Mix all the ingredients together in a blender. After that, store the mixture in the refrigerator. Apply the oil externally all over the places where the stretch marks commonly appear (abdomen, hips, thighs and breasts).
- An herbal solution can also be made by mixing one tablespoon wheat germ oil and one tablespoon calendula oil. Regular application of this mixture on abdomen, hips, and breast regions works great, particularly on stretch marks caused due to pregnancy or weight gain.
- The adequate and uninterrupted supply of nutrition to the body is of great eminence. It is recommended to include ample vitamins A, C and E in the diet chart. These vitamins endow skin with optimum elasticity and at the same time provide nutrients for skincare. Fresh fruit, vegetables, almonds, fish and eggs are some example of vitamin-rich food items.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks With Exercises
Health and Exercise Tips – Ab Crunches
How to get rid of Stretch marks
Lay with your back on the floor. Pull your legs up so your knees and thighs are pressed against your chest. Slowly release legs down and straight out, and then bring them back up to your chest. Repeat this process 10-20 times, or as many as you can do. This exercise helps prevent stretch marks in the abdomen and hip area.
Leg lifts are great for the hip, thigh and buttock area. Lie on one side and use your hand to support your head. Brace the other arm in front of you on the floor for additional support. Bend your knees slightly. Raise the top leg and hold for two seconds, then lower. Repeat this procedure 25 times. Then roll over and repeat for the other leg.
Squats will build up your muscle tone in the thigh, hip, abdomen and buttock areas. Muscle tone in these areas will keep fat deposits from occurring, which then leads to stretch marks. Stand tall, with your feet parallel to your shoulders. Put your hands on your hips and slowly squat down, keeping your butt perpendicular to the floor. After a few of these, your thigh muscles will begin to protest. If they do too much, aim for ten a day and build up your tolerance.