A recipe for Ratatouille is so quick and easy to make. This French recipe using 5 vegetables, is very healthy, and also versatile. Once youve made it, youll realize how it can be used as an accompaniment to grilled meats as a main course or eaten on its own with warm crusty French bread for a lunch or light supper.
It can be made in advance and heated up the next day.
Ingredients [for 6-8] people
· 2 large courgettes
· 2 large aubergines
· 5 large tomatoes
· 1 large green pepper
· 1 small red pepper
· 1 large onion
· 2 cloves garlic
· 6 tablespoons olive oil
· salt and pepper to taste
· Wash the courgettes and aubergines, cut off both ends and slice into chunks
· Skin the tomatoes and chop them roughly
· Wash the peppers and remove the white inner ribs and all the seeds.
· Dice the flesh of the peppers
· Peel and coarsely chop the onions and the garlic.
· Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes over a low heat until transparent
· Add the rest of the ingredients and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper
· Cook the mixture over a low heat for 35 minutes, stirring from time to time.
· Check the seasoning.
· Instead of fresh tomatoes, you can use a can of chopped tomatoes
· You can add a little sun-dried tomato paste
· You can use yellow or orange peppers instead of red and green peppers
· You can add a little mild chilli seasoning or hot chilli seasoning if you are not serving it with a mild flavoured meat as you will overpower the dish.
· If youre adding chilli then add a little granulated sugar to sweeten the dish
Alternative Ways to Serve
· On its own with warm crusty French bread
· With grilled fillet steak or pork or lamb
· If you are not using the chilli then serve with fish cakes
This French Ratatouille Recipe is so quick and easy. Once youve made it, you will feel more confident to experiment and adapt your own ingredients to the basic recipe.