Should I be getting married? That might be the question that is running through your head, and if it is you need to be aware that there is a reason that question has arrived in your mental life. Figure out why the question is presenting itself to you and you will be half way to figuring out what you need to know.
If you have already accepted the marriage proposal be aware that you still do not have to get married if you arent ready. Before you make any announcement you need to evaluate what is in your heart, and ask yourself why you said yes to marriage in the first place. Did you respond out of guilt or obligation? Did you agree to get married because you are deeply and passionately in love with your potential spouse? If you said yes, because you are in love, then I think that you can figure out that you want to get married, but you are nervous. It is okay to be nervous about getting married it is a life changing event.
If you said Yes I will marry you, due to guilt or obligation, then you have some soul searching to do. You need to decide if you are following through with getting married. The reason(s) that one should be getting married is about love, commitment and passion.
Here are a few questions to get you started on your soul searching journey:
- Can you see yourself married to anyone else?
- Does your heart pitter-patter with happiness when your potential spouse walks into a room?
- Do you want to grow old with the person; will you be happy when you do?
- Do your hopes and dreams for the future compliment one another?
- Do you, and the person you are considering marriage with, have the same ideas about how a successful marriage should be carried out?
- What type of role does your partner expect you to carry out as a husband or wife? Does it match what you think is an ideal disposition?
- How is your current relationship? It is filled with harmony or agreements?
- Do you want to change your potential spouse or are you content with whom they currently are as a person? ( being able to accept someone as they are is important in a successful marriage)
Once you have determined why you are asking yourself if you should get married, you will have answered many other questions you may not have considered. Sometimes the head and the heart do not agree on lifes situations, and there is reason for this. If there are doubts presenting themselves, you need to weigh them out before you say: I do. It is sad to say that sometimes it is a lot easy to get married than it is to get out of a marriage. Save yourself future heartache by knowing what you really want before committing to marriage.