Have you ever tried saffron before? I think what makes saffron unique because of the fragrance and the flavor that rarely found in other type of spices.
In my opinion saffron smells kind like grasses and you can get better taste of saffron by mixing them with a glass of warm milk, you might add sugar if you want. Another way of tasting it is by cooking saffron with rice.
Basically, mix saffron with other food ingredients that have relatively neutral flavor is probably one of the best ways to taste and get to know what saffron really like.
As a matter of fact drinking a glass of milk with a pinch of saffron powder is believed to improve your vitality.
You can add ginger, and perhaps almond to make it taste even better. The term saffron Indian cuisine is something that cannot be separated, as expensive spice as saffron it gives various dishes incomparable fragrance, aroma and natural color.
Saffron Flower – Image Source :
What is saffron? Why it is so expensive?
Saffron made by extracting dried stamens of flowering plant, the saffron crocus. The dried stamens are grounded to get the saffron powder. The powder is considered one of the most expensive spices in the world. It takes almost 200 flowers to produce one gram of powder.
Saffron Cultivation – Image source : http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/
In other words you need to collect about 80 to 100 thousands of saffron flowers in order to get only half a kilo of dried saffron powder.
This is high degree of labor intensive activities which is why we need to carefully treat and highly value even only a pinch of costly saffron considering all the hard-works, processes and sacrifices given behind it.
Saffron is a staple seasoning as well as to give attractive color in some Mediterranean countries, Middle East as well as India cuisines. Considered as one of the most expensive spices in the world, you will have to spend more money to buy saffron in comparison to vanilla.
Saffron and spices – Image source : Wikimedia common
Health Benefits of Saffron you might need to know about
- Cures acne: Bacteria and dirt that reside underneath your skin pores will causing acne development. You may apply saffron on acnes to kill bacteria and reduce the swollen area.
- Heals wounds: minor wounds can be healed quicker by applying saffron. The wounds will dry up faster and kills any possible bacteria that cause infections.
- Improves blood circulation: consuming saffron on regular basis will increase the amount of oxygen in the blood thus eventually make your body get healthier in general. When blood circulation is at its best, you will never experiences, stress, headache, as well as insomnia.
- Natural coolant for human: When you consume saffron drinks it will cooling off your body and also provides excellent rejuvenating effects against hot temperature during summer time.
- Heals urine retention: People who have excretory issue might need to find saffron for the answer as it clears the passage and improves the urine flows.
- Weight loss: Some medical studies have revealed that saffron extracts can suppress your appetite, and you will be able to control your daily meal intakes and experience better and healthier lifestyle. So this is probable a better alternative for your weight loss program.
- Healthier skin : Add saffron into water or better milk mix thoroughly, place the mixture on your palm and rub gently on your face, leave it for a while, the longer the better, and wash it off. You will have bright, smoother, healthier face skin in just a matter of days.
In overall saffron enhance your immune system, so you will never get sick easily.
Saffron Strands – Image Source :
Why cooking with saffron is important to some countries?
India, Middle East and Mediterranean countries use saffron to add beautiful color more importantly because of its distinctive wonderful aroma, which make any dishes more special and unique. Saffron cultivations can be traced back thousands of years ago in Asia.
Saffron contains antioxidants or the carotenoid which carrying the striking yellow color and distinct taste. There are many dishes that use saffron as their key ingredient, one example would be on rice as it gives a much better looking with color, more attractive, appealing and appetizing cooked rice which deliver the best quality of the dish in overall.
More interesting articles
- What is squalene? Miracle oil extracted from the rare Aizame shark liver – Squalene is the term used for a natural organic compound that can be found in some plants and vegetables. However, the main source of squalene comes from shark liver
- Using turmeric for acne treatment. – What is turmeric? Turmeric or in Latin curcuma domestica is a herb that thrives in south Asia regions. What are uses of turmeric you might need to know?