The accompanying music has always been a very important part in any Terrence Malick film. The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life, in particular, are great films that are made even greater by their soundtracks. If you’ve seen the war epic The Thin Red Line, how can you forget those haunting Melanesian choirs?
Malick is one who isn’t too interested in putting dialogues in his films. He has the habit of letting the muted actors, the music and the surroundings talk to the viewer. Fortunately, it works. In most of his films, at least. To The Wonder, the directors latest output features his well-known filmmaking trademarks. That’s what early reviews say of the film. To The Wonder was shown at the 2012 Venice Film Festival and the reviews, as expected are extremely mixed. Some critics called it pure crap while others lauded it as among Malick’s best (even better than The Tree of Life). Malick also wrote the script for the film.
Hanan Townshend is the composer hired to score To The Wonder. He replaced Alexandre Desplat. Olga Kurykenko who stars in the film has a song in the soundtrack notes. She performed the track The Little Grey Wolf, a traditional song.
Heres a list of the songs from Malicks To The Wonder:
1) Now Now by St. Vincent
2) Quadrospazzed by Thee Oh Sees
3) Fratres for Eight Cellos by the Hungarian State Opera Orchestra
4) Harold in Italy, Op. 16, II. by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra
5) Parsifal: Prelude to Act One by Hanan Townshend
6) Parsifal: Prelude to Act One by the Mariinsky Orchestra
7) Die Jahreszeiten (The Seasons), H0B.XXI;3 by the Mozarteum Orchestra
8) Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite No. 2, P.138 by the Ireland National Symphony Orchestra
9) June (Barcarolle) by Morton Gould
10) Ou Tu TEndors by Ishtar Alabina
11) Symphony No. 9 in E Minor From the New World, Op. 95 by the Bartlesville High School Band
12) Miss Mary Mack
13) Symphony No. 3, Op. 36, Symphony of Sorrowful Songs II. Lento Cantabile Semplice by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
14) Symphony No. 3, Op. 36, Symphony of Sorrowful Songs III. Lento Sostenuto Tranquillo Ma Cantabile by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
15) Unto Us A Child Is Born; Alleluia (From Christmas Cantata No. 142) by Hanan Townshend
16) Cantus Arcticus, Op. 61, Concerto for Birds and Orchestra: III. Joutsenet Muuttavat (Swans Migrating) by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra17) Les Saisons (The Seasons), Op. 37b-June:Barcarolle by llona Pruyni
18) Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major, Op. 102 by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
19) The Isle of the Dead, Op. 29 by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
20) Cosmic Beam Take 1 by Francesco Lupica and Lee Scott
21) Troops Advance by Francesco Lupica and Lee Scott
22) Prophecy of the Village Kremna by Arsenije Jovanovic
23) So Go by Lauren Marie Mikus and Hanan Townshend
24) The Little Grey Wolf by Olga Kurylenko25) Lahaul Valley by David Parsons
26) Cosmic Beam Drone # 1 by Francesco Lupica
27) Cosmic Beam Take 5 by Francesco Lupica and Lee Scott
28) McKron Freaks by Francesco Lupica and Lee Scott
29) The Medusa Song by Tatiana Chiline
30) Bartlesville Fight Song by the Bartlesville High School Band
Other Films by Terrence Malick:
The Tree of Life – Also written by Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life is a drama picture that delves into the meaning and origins of life in the eyes of a middle-aged man as he reminiscences about his childhood. The film stars Sean Penn, Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain. The movie won the Palme d’Or at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.
The New World – A historical drama inspired by the story of Pocahontas and Captain John Smith, The New World stars Colin Farrell, Q’orianka Kilcher, Christian Bale, Christopher Plummer, David Thewlis, and August Schellenberg. The film earned recognition from the National Board of Review, ALMA Awards, San Diego Film Critics Society Awards, Mar del Plata Film Festival and Online Film Critics Society Awards.