This article takes a look at the top 10 electric cars available. The motor of an electric car is powered by electric energy. They were actually popular in the late 19th and early 20th century but lost favor in the 1970s and 1980s due to the energy crisis. They are now popular again because of the concern in greenhouse gas emissions and a rise in the price of gas and petrol worldwide.
1. Nissan Leaf: The Leaf stands for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car and is a five-door hatchback that began production in 2010 by Nissan. The official range is 117 km. It can travel over 70 miles on a single charge.
2. Mitsubishi i-MiEV: The i-MiEV stands for Mitsubishi innovative Electric Vehicle and is produced by Mitsubishi. It is an electric version of the Mitsubishi I and has a range of 100 miles/160km. It was first produced in 2009 in Japan and 2010 for other countries. In Europe, the i-MiEV is called the PSA Peugeot Citroen, Citroen C-Zero or Peugeot iOn.
3. GEM Neighborhood Electric Vehicle: A Neighborhood Electric Vehicle is a car that can only travel legally on roads with posted speed limits of no more than 45 miles per hour/72km per hour. The car cannot weigh more than 3,000 lbs. The typical range is 30 miles /48km per charge.
4. Bolloré Bluecar: The Blue car is a four-seat car with three doors produced in Italy. The Bolloré was designed by Pininfarina and produced by Cecomp. It is a new electric car that became available in June of 2012. The range is 250km/160miles.
5. Opel Ampera or Chevrolet Volt: Known as the Chevrolet Volt in the U.S., Opel or Vauxhall Ampera in Europe, and Holden Volt in Australia and new Zealand, this is a five-door hatchback with a range of 379 miles/610km.
6. Tesla Roadster: The Tesla Roadster is produced by Tesla Motors since 2008 and has a range of 200 miles/320km. This is an environmentally friendly sports car with style and elegance.
7. Renault Fluence Z.E.: The Renault Fluence Z.E. is the electric version of the compact executive sedan. It was first produced in 2009 and has a range of 185 km/115 miles.
8. Wheego Whip LiFe: The Wheego Whip LiFe is an electric version of the Noble by Shuanghuan Automobile. It has a range of 100 miles/161km.
9. Fisker Karma: is a sleek sports car produced by Fisker with a range of 300 miles/483km. It was first manufactured in 2011.
10. Coda Sedan: The Coda sedan has a range of 150 miles/241km and is capable of speeds up to 85 mph/137 km per hour. It is a four-door, five-passenger sedan that takes less than six hours to recharge.
Go down to your local car dealership and take these cars out for a test drive today and congratulations on your interest in the top 10 electric cars and your concern with environmental issues.