Every second internet users increase across the world; Information on the finger tips have made people dependent on the internet.
When internet came into existence nobody ever thought that it could bring such serious threats. One of the most commonly known serious threats is Phishing which is in fashion these days and people are becoming more prone to such activities.
What is Phishing?
- Phishing scams are fraudulent activities conducted to deceive an individual user and obtain their personal and confidential information. Such messages could be from anyone such as universities, internet-provider or banks and they have the ability to land the user to the spoofed websites.
- Ultimately, it will take your personal information or ask you to disclose some of your personal information such as passport number, credit card or debit card details and will commit identity theft to the users.
- It could be in the form of e-mails where you will be asked to click on the link and provide your personal information. Such scams make fool of people by saying that you will be at lose if not checked the provided link or so.
How to identify a phishing email?
There are many examples from modern to contemporary but some of them are common such as:
- Spelling mistakes: In a phishing email, youll certainly find serous spelling mistakes which will make you think whether you are on correct page or not.
- Grammatical errors: Another way to identify is grammatical errors. On such websites, grammar issues are common and in bulk. Every organization that wants to attract masses will hire a team of content writers who can curate good content with proper grammar. If you find maximum five errors that means its a fake website.
- Security threats: Messages that pass information like if you wont login to your account or if you wont provide your personal information then your account might get closed. Ignore such mails or add them to the spam folder so that whenever it comes next time, it wont appear in your inbox.
- Be wary of links in email: Whenever you receive an email saying click on the link for rewards, coupons or free gifts, dont click as such links could land you to the spoofing websites.
- Incorrect email addresses: Some of the scams uses the name of the real company but provides incorrect or different email address.
Ways to guard from Phishing scams:
1) Beware of spam:
Whenever a spam mail hits, dont open or click on the link provided rather just delete the mail and stay safe from serious threats.
Stay alert when:
- An email comes from the unrecognized sources
- Ask for your personal information such as credit or debit card details and other bank related information
2) Dont click on links from unnecessary sources:
Make a habit not to click on the links from unknown resources and also avoid downloading email attachments from unreliable sources. Download attachments only when you know whats inside the attachment.
3) Dont communicate personal information on the web:
Stop sharing any of your personal data or information over the email or through some links. Share it personally or physically when you meet a person. You should also stay safe from the fake calls that attempt to gather your personal information to update your account information.
4) Never share personal or financial information through email:
If youve shared your personal or financial information before over the email or message, then you should stop it right now. It is not a secured way of sharing such confidential information. Such emails or messages go through various servers and any of the servers could keep your information and can lead to identity theft.
5) Dont click on pop-up pages:
Refrain yourself from clicking on the pop-up pages and never share any of the personal data on such webpages. One should also avoid copying web links from pop-ups.
6) Computer protection is important:
Identify the benefits of keeping your PC safe and secure from the illegal activities that can lead to the personal loss. Ensure that all the softwares on the computer are up-to-dated and in working condition and are constantly blocking malwares or viruses. Some of the best PC optimizers are available in the market that can fix all such issues.
7) Keep a tab on the e-statements:
Maintain a habit to check your account information and e-statements whenever it comes. Save yourself from the illegal transactions and be aware of the transactions youve made to the particular bank or site.
Such problems can be barred with the help of PC optimizer which works against all odds such as viruses, malwares, and spywares.