While starting a new home from scratch, setting up the kitchen can especially be daunting, because a lot of stuff is needed even for a basic running kitchen. After you purchase the primary appliances — stove top, oven, refrigerator, food processor — there are still a number of things cooking requires.
To make things a little easier for you, we have come up with a list of the most essential items required to make everyday, regular food. Take a look.
1. Knives and Cutting Board: You need two knives – a chefs knife for the bigger stuff like meat, vegetables and a paring one for the smaller stuff like fruit, berries, etc. Ideally, you should have two separate chopping boards — one for the meat or seafood and the other for veggies and fruit. If you cant buy both, be sure to sanitize the board well so that cross-contamination can be avoided.
2. Kitchen Tools: A vegetable peeler, can-opener, tongs, scissors, ladle, whisk, spatula, grater, lemon press, potato masher, pepper-mill, are minimum requirements to help in the preparation.
3. Non-Stick Cookware: Non-stick cookware is easy to clean. Just ensure that you buy high-quality products with a comfortable handle. Non-stick pots and pan can be used to cook anything from vegetables and pasta to rice and soups.
4. Mixing Bowls: Mixing bowls with lids are multi-purpose. Apart from preparing batter, mixing salads, pasta, etc., whisking eggs, you can store leftover in them and use them as serving dishes. If they are microwave-safe, you can also use them to heat food.
5. Colander: Pasta or noodles are the staple dishes for quick-fixes as they are cheap and easy to make. A medium-sized colander with ample perforation will see you through with straining cooked pasta, boiled vegetables and rinsing chopped stuff too.
6. Dishware, Cutlery and Glassware: Dinnerware is available in sets according to number of people to be served. You can also buy individual plates, serving dishes, bowls, etc., at open stock stores. Cutlery and glassware are another important part of serving food well. Cutlery is also available in sets. Buy a couple or short glasses and some long ones to serve drinks or water.
7. Pot-Holders and Oven-Mittens: When you are wielding your culinary skills in the kitchen, pot-holders and oven mittens will prove to be indispensable. Although these are available in silicone models with high heat resistance and firm grip, you might like to try quilted ones that offer more freedom of movement.
8. Kitchen Towels: And finally, you need to stock on some kitchen towels. They not only come in handy to wipe off stuff, but also to absorb extra oil from deep-fried foods, to soak up extra moisture from salads pieces, or just cover food to keep it warm.
Most of the things listed here can be easily bought online. If you are not planning to set-up a home for a temporary period, it is always recommended to purchase high-quality, durable products, especially when it comes to cookware. You can buy non stick cookware online from renowned brands. A one-time investment in good-quality products will last you years. After you purchase these necessities, you can slowly graduate to buying sophisticated stuff for doling out those sumptuous dishes that you always dreamed of!
Did you find the article useful? Let us know in the comments section.